AL Observing Challenge Special Award Coordinator:
The Astronomical League has identified opportunities to commemorate special astronomical events and bring you AL Observing Challenges. New opportunities will be added as significant celestial events are identified.
Requirements and Rules
To earn the certification, you need to meet these requirements:
You do not need to be a member of the Astronomical League to receive this certification. If you are not a member and would like to become one, check with your local astronomical society, search for a local society on the Astronomical League Website, or join as a Member-At-Large in the member at large .
The AL Observing Challenges
9. The Astronomical League is pleased to offer our 9th AL Observing Challenge: Observe the Moon 2023. (deadline for submission is November 21, 2023.)
The downloadable certificate is located here.
- This Challenge is being done working closely with NASA’s International Observe the Moon Night. More information can be found on their website by clicking here.
- This Challenge is telescope based. You will need a modest telescope and a good map of the Moon.
- Observers may work together using the same telescope.
- To complete the challenge, locate and observe the 20 objects on this target list:
- Lacus Mortis
- Mons Hadley
- Rupes Altai
- Rima Hyginus
- Vallis Alpes
- An Observation should include this information:
- Date and Time of the observation.
- Location where you did the observation.
- Sketch or image those 20 objects.
- Do an outreach activity related to the Moon and the International Observe the Moon Night.
- Submit all of the required information for the observations and the outreach activity as well as the sketches or images to the Observing Program Coordinator.
- Timings for this challenge:
- You may do your observing from October 18 through October 25, 2023.
- Submission MUST arrive to the Coordinator by November 21, 2023.
- Late submissions will not be accepted.
For details on the requirements for prior awards, click here.
1. The Great Conjunction Observing Challenge (deadline for submission was February 21, 2021)
2. Observing The Moon Observing Challenge – 2021 (deadline for submission was October 16, 2021)
3. The AL 75th Year Anniversary Observing Challenge (deadline for submission was December 31, 2021)
4. Astronomical League Galaxy Season Observing Challenge (deadline for submission was June 30, 2022)
5. Astronomical League Globular Cluster Observing Challenge (deadline for submission: October 31, 2022)
6. Observing the Moon Observing Challenge – 2022 (deadline for submission: November 9, 2022)
7. Astronomical League – Moons Observing Challenge (deadline for submission: December 31, 2022)
8. Astronomical League – Galaxy Challenge 2.0 (deadline for submission: July 25, 2023)
AL Observing Challenges Special Awards Coordinator: