Do you have a sketch that you are particularly proud of – perhaps one of a terraced lunar crater, of a speckled globular cluster, or of a wispy nebula. Why not enter it into the Sketching Award competition? First, read the eligibility requirements and rules for the award program, then, if you and your work qualify, submit it!
The work will be evaluated for accuracy, aesthetics, neatness, composition, and the visceral effect imparted on the viewer.
The first place winner will receive $250 and a plaque recognizing the achievement. The second place finisher will receive $150 and the third place finisher will receive $75.
The folks at Astronomics, www.astronomics.com, have generously agreed to sponsor this award because they recognize the value in taking time to explore and understand our night sky. Thank you, Astronomics!
- Only current Astronomical League members are eligible to enter. The work must have been done while being an Astronomical League member.
- Sketches must be the original work of amateurs. People who have received compensation for astronomical themed sketches since March 31, 2018 are not eligible for the current year’s award.
- Astronomical League officers and Sketching Award judges are not eligible.
- The first place winner this year is not eligible next year.
- The sketch must be original work.
- The sketch must have been drawn at the eyepiece after March 31, 2018. It is acceptable to clean up sketches in brighter light (remove smudges, correct elongated stars, etc.).
- Digital manipulation is allowed. Some sketchers prefer to “invert” (i.e., take the negative) of their work. Please indicate what manipulation was done.
- Sketches from photographs are not allowed.
- Sketches using online telescopes are not allowed.
- Only one submission per year, please.
- The winners will need to complete IRS form W9 before the cash prize money is awarded.
- The deadline for submitting your entry is March 31, 2019.
Other pertinent information
- Sketches will be evaluated for accuracy, esthetics, neatness, composition, and the visceral effect imparted on the viewer.
- Submit your entry as a high resolution jpeg to Sketch@astroleague.org, maximum file size of 10 Mb.
- Submit a photo of yourself, preferably in an astronomical themed setting, in jpeg format to Sketch@astroleague.org. The image may appear in the Reflector magazine, on the Astronomical League website or Facebook page.
- Winning sketches may appear in the Reflector magazine, on the Astronomical League website or Facebook page. They may be used in promotional material for the Astronomical League.
- And, of course, all judges decisions are final.