Article I. Membership
Section 1. Membership Classes
There shall be six classes of membership, and hereafter in this Bylaws the generic term “member” shall denote the first five categories, inclusive.
- Member Society – Any club, society, or organization with a bonafide interest in astronomy may become a member of the Astronomical League (hereinafter referred to the League), no fewer of whom shall belong to the League than constitute the current membership list of said organizations, on the basis of the League’s “membership criteria”, which are as follows: Acceptance of these Bylaws by the proper authority of said organization or in the case of individual memberships, by that individual, approval by the council of the League (hereinafter referred to as the Council), and payment to the League treasurer of the prescribed fees and dues for said category of membership as set by the Council.
- Affiliate Member – Any national astronomical society or organization may become a member of the League based on the aforementioned “membership criteria.”
- Patron Member – Any individual with a bonafide interest in astronomy and a desire to lend financial support to the League may become a member of the League based on the aforementioned “membership criteria.”
- Member-at-Large – Any person with a bonafide interest in astronomy and a desire to lend financial support to the League may become a member of the League based on the aforementioned “membership criteria.”
- Supporting Member – Any company, manufacturer, corporation or organization with a sincere belief in the ideals of the League may become a member of the League based on the aforementioned “membership criteria.”
- Honorary Member – The title Honorary Member of the League may be bestowed upon any person who has made a significant, sustained, or outstanding contribution to the Astronomical League or the science of astronomy. It is granted only upon unanimous approval of the Council.
- Young Astronomer – Any person under the age of 19 years may become a Youth Member-at-Large (Y-MAL). This membership will be similar to at-large membership with a Sponsor appointed by Council.
Section 2. Privileges of Members
All classes of membership are entitled to attend national and any regional conventions, address the Council as specified in Article IlI, and attend national business meetings. All classes of membership shall receive official notices of the League and the publication specified in Article VII, Section 4. No commercial use of the League mailing list is permitted without approval by Executive Committee.
- Member Societies shall have these additional privileges:
- The right to have one (1) vote at each national convention and national election and an additional vote for each twenty-five (25) members in good standing beyond the first ten (10). Voting in the national election shall be as outlined in Article III, Section 3.
- The right to be represented in the Regional Council where the membership is located.
- Each member of a member society shall have the right to vote at regional conventions of his/her own region as provided in Article IX.
- Affiliate Member shall have these specific privileges:
- This class of membership may be granted in addition to any other League membership and shall not affect said other membership privileges. It is the executive secretary or other permanent directing officer of the affiliate member who shall have access to Council.
- Patron Members shall have the following additional privileges:
- This class of membership may be granted in addition to any other League membership and shall not affect said other membership privileges.
- One (1) vote per patron membership in national affairs.
- The right to vote at regional conventions as provided in Article IX.
- Member-at-Large shall have the same privileges as patron members.
- Supporting Members shall have this specific privilege:
- Supporting members may conduct astronomically-related advertising at national and regional conventions.
- Honorary Members of the League shall have the following specific and additional privileges:
- This class of membership may be bestowed in addition to any other League membership and shall not affect said other membership privileges.
- Life membership.
- Young Astronomers will have the following additional privileges:
1. Young astronomers will receive a discount on regular membership rates through the Y-MAL program and discounts on other products as recommended by the Youth Activities Committee (YAC) and approved by Council..
2. Young Astronomers shall have full voting privileges.